Wednesday, June 24, 2009

"How do you remember all that?"

Sometimes after I tell a table the specials, I get the following question:

"How do you remember all that?"

The customer is amazed that I can memorize a two to three line description for three or four different dishes.  

It's not that hard, people.  First of all, I am at work right now, so there is a certain level of concentration that can be taken for granted.  I am sure you are excellent at your job, too!  

Honestly, a monkey could do this!  Don't give me too much credit here, people!  

Essentially, memorizing the specials is part of my job, so I kind of have to do it.  So I guess the answer to how I do it is that I think about my mortgage and about how I like to eat food and have money, and then I do what people have been doing for generations in this post-industrial revolution economy.  I do what I have to do.  

I appreciate the fact that you are impressed and everything, but let's all just assume from this point forward that I am excellent at serving you dinner, and that excellence will shine in every aspect of your experience here tonight.  I didn't just walk in off the street, memorize the specials, and walk over to your table.  

As I have said before, you are in the hands of a professional, so relax and have a good time.

Oh, and leave a 20 percent tip, yo!

4 comments:

  1. I love how you are hitting many of the ways we customers so mindlessly show that we do not think of our waiters as professionals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a pet peeve of mine, as well. Really, a couple entrees, a special app, and a dessert don't take up that much brain space. When you figure that (as a professional) you already know the menu backwards and forwards, down to the jaunty little descriptions, is it really surprising that we can remember something like "broiled scallops and a crabcake with polenta or garlic mashed potatoes" ??
    I used to remember whole tables' orders (not to show off, just to do it, to improve my memory), and I was continually amazed how some customers would quiz me about it and try to trip me up. "Are you sure you don't need to write this down? I don't want onions." I assure you, you are not the first customer to find exception with onions, in fact, I already figured you may be the "no onions" type, and yes, I can quite easily remember this.
    Really, folks, it's all under control.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "You are not the first customer to find exception with onions."

    Well put!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, i love when a customer prefaces their order "well i'm sort of complicated..." and they want salad dressing on the side. and then they will tell you 14 times before you leave the table to remember the dressing on the side, because you didn't write it down so they assume you will not remember. and then they are just blown away when we bring their food and surprise surprise, it's correct! "how did you remember all that?" well, it's my job, sir.

    ReplyDelete