Tuesday, June 16, 2009

20 Percent has contributors!

I'd like to share some thoughts from some other contributors.  These stories were originally posted on the 20 percent facebook page, but I thought I would put them up here so everyone could enjoy them!

From my friend Denise:

Okay girls, lets talk about purses. Is it really neccesary to hang your 10lb purse on the back of your chair? You do realize that people have to walk past you carrying hot and cold items right? Is it such a crime to actually place your purse on the floor next to your chair? Not in the middle of the floor, not in the walk way that everyone has to use and not gaping open with handles 1 foot on either side waiting to cause an accident. Just neatly out of the way.

Okay, so you don't realize that you have made a faux paus. When it is knocked into you for the 10th time, please don't turn to the person and make a face, it's not their fault, it's yours, just remove it ok? Look around you. Pay attention, you might learn something


She goes on:

me: "what can I get for you?"
customer: "Do you have any egg white omelettes? I'm trying to go vegan"
Brunch, always a treat . . .


From my friend Justin:

 It was time to prepare a check for my last table of the night, a group of seven academic colleagues. They requested that I itemize the check seven ways. The restaurant closed an hour earlier and the computer system needed to be replaced. So I got their attention and explained,

"I can separate your checks individually, but our computer takes up to seven minutes to process just one credit card. Seven credit cards at seven minutes a-piece is forty-nine minutes. Forty-nine minutes will pass before all your payments are processed. If you have cash, it'll speed things up. Everybody understand?"

They all nodded. I presented the checks and retrieved them... All credit-card payments. I processed the first one and presented it seven minutes later. Another guest raised his arm and waved it as I went to wait for another to process, I turned and faced him.

He half-stood in a hurry and blurted, "Where's my credit card!?"

The average tip was around 12%... Jaded.

From my friend Sarah:

So last night my last table came in at 9:30pm. They hemmed and hawed about wine and then the lady wasn't happy with her well vodka martini (Lukasova...come on!?!!) "it has a funny taste to it". amazingly she didn't want to pay for an upgrade. well they ordered a salad and a spaghetti squash because it "looked exciting". They drew that out for at least an hour. They were cleared and paid up by 10:30pm at which time every one else in the restaurant was gone. I cleared some settings, took away a few candles...kept checking on them. They finally left at 11:20pm...tip: not 20%.


Thanks to all the contributors, look for more soon!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment