Wednesday, July 22, 2009

More than 3 ladies?

I hate to write badly about women, since I am one....but there are some disturbing commonalities that arise when groups of more than three ladies decide to meet at a restaurant for "girl time". It usually involves one round of drinks, birthday wishes, abandoned wrapping paper, and always camping at table for at least an hour after they've last consumed food or beverage. That might not be so bad if they were nice and conscientious, but when they ignore their server, other parties request to be moved OUT of the server's section because of the noise, and they tip less than 15%, it is a disaster.

I knew as soon as I heard it was going to be 8 ladies, Sunday evening to celebrate a birthday at 9pm (no reservation, mind you...) I should add the gratuity onto the bill. But they seemed nice enough, even though they did not break from their relentless chatter to notice I was hovering to take a drink order. As soon as I walk away from the table, the ringleader stands up and waves at me. Okay, I'm ready for duty. They order drinks, more ladies arrive and the cycle of talking and then complaining "where are our drinks?" continue as they fail to stop talking long enough to order. FINALLY, everyone has drinks, and I try to move on to food. "Oh, we already ate...we might just get some appetizers to share." You already ate? Did you fail to realize this is a restaurant where we serve....SURPRISE!...Food. Oh well, I figure, maybe they'll make it up in drinks.

One of the ladies who arrived later also brought a cake in a box. I offer to move it off the table and they're all smiles and appreciative. I explain to the lady we do have a $2 per person plate charge, and she asks if they can just cut it themselves at the table. I explain that this is our policy when customer's bring in their own cake, just as we charge a corkage fee, when people bring in their own bottles of wine. She seemed disappointed, but accepted this.

So, they eventually order 2 appetizers. I eventually clear. The cake lady leaves without the cake. I ask the ringleader if they're ready for the cake now. She says yes. I put in candles, I light them and bring it out, they sing "Happy Birthday" to the gleeful birthday girl, she blows them out and they all clap and laugh. Meanwhile, a two-top has requested to move out of my section because the ladies are so loud.

I take the cake into the kitchen, divide it into 8 pieces and serve. They eat, talk, and sit some more. I clear cake plates and ask it they would like anything else. No, they say. Now would be the optimal time to have my manager add on the 18% gratuity we can add to parties of five or more. But, their bill is only $155 and I figure they'll treat me right. Never assume anything.

Of course it takes them forever to pass the bill book around and put in money or their credit cards. I offer to split the check for them and they shoo me away. Finally they're ready, there's cash to deduct and then three credit cards to split the remainder among, something I hate due to the cash people's tip being lost in this process (See 20percent posting "Put the rest on the card"). I ask if the cash includes gratuity, they say yes. I head over to the computer and hear mumblings and grumblings from the ladies....I walk back over...."If it would be easier for you I can add on an 18% gratuity?" I say. They say no, they can figure out the gratuity, but they were wondering about the plate charge fee. I explain that the restaurant charges a $2 per plate fee when customers bring in their own cake, just as we also charge for corkage. As they start to complain that no one told them I say "I did explain this to the lady who brought the cake; I'm sorry she did not let you know about it." And they make jokes how they're going to call her up and make her pay it. Ha, ha, ha...

So I run the cards deposit them at the table, and hope they leave somewhat soon as it's already close to 11pm. They eventually leave and my manager and another waiter help me bus the table. I count my tip...what this all comes down too. If they tip me 20% or more, it's somehow worth it...maybe not worth it, but I can stomach it alright. If it's less.......well.....

You already know it....it's less. They left me a $24 tip. If I had added the 18% gratuity on it would have been $29. So $5...big deal...right? I can say that now, but that night it made me feel so bad...so small...so insignificant. I know, I know, I shouldn't let it get to me...I'm probably too sensitive to be doing this type of work. But that's what also makes me a great waitress, which most people appreciate, and know how to convey their thankfulness by tipping at least 20%.

6 comments:

  1. Great story, Sarah, thanks for the contribution!

    It's a great example of how a chain of small indignities can really add up to a disruptive and unpleasant encounter. There's no one moment when someone did something just god-awful, but nonetheless the overall effect is still pretty terrible.

    Awesome recall of a complicated story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain, here, sisterfriend.

    And, not to talk badly about ladies, as I, too, am one, but don't you sometimes get the feeling that if you were a smiling, flirting dude they would be much happier and agree to anything?
    Maybe it's just me.
    But when you get that many females together, they seem to take on a clan-like attitude that is best penetrated (um, maybe that's poor word choice...) by a charming young man...

    Call me out if I'm wrong, people...

    ReplyDelete
  3. A birthday party for nice regulars with a good rep-don't auto grat. 8 ladies with a cake gets the grat. To grat or not to grat is not an open question anyway. It should be a policy that's enforced consistently. If it isn't who's to blame?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, you would have liked more but they tipped a perfectly fine 15% even on the crazy cake fee, that is just petty to charge a fee its not like they would have paid for overpriced desserts anyway. In any case you got $24 from ONE large table which no matter what is pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, this is a common misperception on the part of non-industry anonymous people. They think twenty four dollars from one table is pretty good, but these ladies occupied eight seats. That's three dollars a seat. In a fine dining restaurant, a server may wait on no more than twenty people in a given night. If they average three dollars a head, that's sixty bucks. Plus two dollars and eighty cents or whatever the ridiculous hourly minimum wage is for people who work for tips. Minus taxes you walk with sixty dollars a night and a professional deserves more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I frequent a restaurant that does not auto-grat, except for holidays....the staff said they almost always get stiffed during these days.....during Thanksgiving Brunch, the comments flew from tables around my party of five....I left them an extra 20% in hopes that it would make it worth their while to miss a holiday with their families. sheesh!

    ReplyDelete