Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Rearranging furniture is a definite no no!

Last night a group of three people decided they didn't like how their table was positioned, so instead of bringing their dissatisfaction to the attention of the staff, they decided to take matters into their own hands by moving their table. They literally picked up and moved the table!

This was wrong on many levels, as I will attempt to describe.

I guess the first thing is, when you are a guest at someone's house, you don't rearrange the furniture, do you? When you walk into a restaurant, you are a guest. One way to know this for sure is to consider the role of the host/hostess. The presence of a host implies the presence of a guest, which by process of elimination must be you, the customer. As a guest, you are entitled to a certain amount of deference to your preference, but also you are obligated to show some respect to the house.

We put that table there for a reason, and we kept that aisle clear for a reason. When you moved the table, you blocked the aisle, which created a traffic flow problem for servers with trays as well as customers trying to go to the washroom.

I mean, just thinking about it now gets me a bit irked. Who would move their table? What kind of person thinks the world revolves around them so much that they get to decide where the table goes? It is a gross misunderstanding of the concept of the customer always being right.

The customer is only always right about things he or she is buying. For example, say you order the crab cakes and you find them to be too oily. You won't get an argument, because they are your crab cakes and it is your taste buds that matter. The offending crab cakes will be removed, and you will have the option to order something else, or we will just take the entree off the bill and offer our apologies.

But you don't get to tell us you don't like the wall paint and expect us to change it for you. Don't like the decor? Well, thanks for your input, but don't expect an apology and we are not giving you a discount on your check for having to put up with the modern art on the walls. If it bothers you so much that you can't enjoy your meal, well, you will just have to find another restaurant, or perhaps open your own, and then you can design the interior to your exact wishes.

It's kind of the same thing with the table. If you don't like how the table is positioned, you can mention it, but the restaurant is not obliged to reposition it for you, because the arrangement of the tables and chairs is not on the menu. Your position as customer is not empowered to make a decision like that because there is no transactional relationship involving the table and chairs. You are not buying the furniture, so you don't get to rearrange it!

We will attempt to offer you another table if one is available, but that is a courtesy, not an obligation on our part. We promise you a table, with chairs, plus a menu of delicious food, plus a polite and professional server to facilitate your dining experience. We don't promise that the orientation of the table will conform to your personal feng shui philosophy, and you don't have the right to impose that philosophy upon us.

Any thoughts? Please write them in the comments below! And if you enjoy this blog, why not sign up as a follower? That would be so validating!

5 comments:

  1. Very well put. Customers moving tables (and to a lesser extent, grabbing chairs from other tables without asking) was one of the most irritating things about working in a restaurant.
    Usually because, as you point out, they almost always move the table where it's in the way of EVERYTHING!!

    I had some guests once asked if they could squeeze their two-top in between two other two-tops, thereby getting the coveted "window seat." (could you try and explain the "window seat" attraction? what is it about the "window seat"???)

    This would have basically turned those three tables into a "Dan'l Boone Inn"-style family table-type situation, with three couples who didn't know each other sitting at one big six-top.

    Um, no, I'm sorry, but you absolutely cannot do that.
    (This was after the guests had been given the option of waiting for a window-side table and had refused.)

    And, honestly, I think that these people might actually go into other people's homes and rearrange their furniture as well. "You really should put this lamp here, and this chair...so." They are just completely signed up to the idea that the world does in fact revolve around their desires.
    All they need is a bottled genie, and they'd be set.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of you ate in my section at Watts Grocery today - i got a $7 tip on a $25 check without doing anything out of the ordinary, in my book.

    Then i saw the website flyer you left, and i knew immediately what the "20%" referred to (let's not forget, i received a 25% tip) & rushed home to look at yer blog.

    Nice work. I'll be back to check it out & try to tell a few stories.

    Mitch

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said, Stevie.

    I'd like to mention the type of person who asks for things before it's necessary. This also involves hand-gestures. Same type, I guess.

    Recently, while waiting on a six-top, the man at position three waved his arm as I passed with my arms full of hot dishes for another table. On my way back, I paused to see what I could do for him. He pointed to a half-full glass of water.

    To his gesture, I replied, "Of course we'll refill your water, sir."

    Before my response, I glared for a moment. In that glare, I hoped to convey the following...

    "Why are you waving your arm? That's rude. We are in no danger of running out of water. The draught is over. In addition, there are five other tables in my section with needs more important than your half-empty glass of water. Do I need to remind you that it is also half-full? The level of your patience and understanding is directly proportional to my genuine efforts to make sure you have a wonderful time. Heck, I might even smile. On the other hand, the level of your impatience and selfishness is proportional to my distaste at serving someone like you. Your needs will be met, no matter what, in a timely manner. That's what irks me about my status as a professional server, I wish I had it in me to give you sub-standard service. Also, I will fight you, gladly, when my shift is over."

    After taking their order, I greeted another table and told them the specials. On my way back, the woman at position two of the six-top waved HER arm.

    "Do we get bread?" she asked. Bread comes free, always, at some point no later than when you recieve appetizers. "Always," I replied.

    Later, the same woman waved her arm again. "Did you forget our entrees?" she asked.

    They had finished their appetizers and bread. I already cleared the dishes and re-set their silverware. In fact, I was on my way to the kitchen to pick up their food.

    I gritted my teeth and said, "Of course not."

    Later, the same woman waved her arm with her fingers together and moved them as if signing a check. Her fellow diners continued to eat. Her entree was cleared already. To me, she's saying, "Give me the check, I need to leave and I want to pay for my friends."

    So I brought her the check. Someone mumbled something about dessert and she retracted ever asking for it. The blame was on me. Instead, she said she wanted dessert menus. Three people continued to eat their entrees. I waited until everyone was finished with their meals and cleared, then brought everyone dessert menus.

    As people were midway through their desserts, the woman once again waved her hand. I arrived prepared to refill her coffee or drop the check. She wanted the check, I deliberately set it in front of her. She handed it to the man accross from her, who was mid-bite in a chocolate brownie sundae... That's rude, lady. The man laughed and said, "she's the boss, I just pay for everything," then laughed.

    I did not laugh. In fact, I could see how his saintly nature was enabling the rude behavior.

    My point: Let us handle it people. One thing at a time. We, as servers, know how to buffer your innate rudeness from the rest of your party. Let us save you from reflecting your impatience and "world-revolves-around- me" attitude. Sit back, relax, let us do the work, we'll take care of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice one. I especially enjoyed the glass half-full reference ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wonderful piece of prose. Well-put and well-received. I'm so glad we've never attempted to move a table at the restaurant but, to be honest, it just never occurred to us.

    Steve and Margot

    ReplyDelete